Research school of pipeline transport protection
Intellectual sphere – engineering science.
The nature of scientific activity:
- fundamental research
- applied research
- scientific and engineering solutions
Learn more >>
In 1977 the Department of Gas, Water Supply and Hydraulics was organised at Novopolotsk Polytechnic Institute (now - PSU). With the guidance of the Associate professor V. Lipsky here soon started the research aimed at developing:
- scientific foundations and engineering systems of container pipeline hydrotransport for solid petroleum products
- technologies and equipment for crating high pour point petroleum products in polyethylene film packaging
- construction and engineering design of shipboard equipment for clean-up boats
The achieved research results were implemented:
- the complexes of equipment and new technology of transportation solid bitumen in containers by main oil pipeline Kirishi-Leningrad (100km in length) successfully passed the tests (defended by 15 certificates of authorship of USSR and gained 10 foreign patents, defended a Ph. D. thesis)
- at Novopolotsk oil refinery an experimental-industrial plant for crating bitumen in leak-proof polyethylene film packaging. It was the first time when such technology was applied (defended by 10 certificates of authorship of USSR and gained 5 foreign patents, defended a Ph. D. thesis, a monograph published). Pilot-line production was set up. Technology license and the equipment for bitumen crating were sold to the oil refinery in Trzebinia (Poland)
- Clean-up boats were mass produced at Azov shipyard of Ministry of shipbuilding Industry of USSR during a long period of time (project "Skorobei"). Technological scheme and constructive solutions of oil gathering system, which are installed at the ship are protected by 4 certificates of authorship of USSR, gained by the representatives of the research school
At this period strong connections and productive cooperation in scientific, methodological and engineering spheres were installed between the representatives of the forming research school, research groups and the most eminent scientists working at Universities and research institutes of oil and gas sphere in Moscow, Ufa, Ivano-Frankivsk, Minsk and other cities. That significantly favoured to forming research school potential. At this stage, which ended in the middle of 90s, scientific, methodological ideology and the staffing were formed.
The next stage of the research school activity began in 1995. It was associated with the beginning of training (for the first time in Belarus) engineers for the design, construction and operation of gas and oil pipelines, bases and storage facilities.
Research school organizer V. Lipsky is the first to open a master study course and a postgraduate course on 25.00.19 "Construction and exploitation of gas and oil pipelines, bases and storages" in the Republic of Belarus.
From 1996 to 2020 by the representatives of the research school were prepared nine International scientific and engineering conferences devoted to the issues of sustainability and safety of main oil pipelines, prepared and published seven collections of works, developed and implemented more than twenty legislative and engineering regulatory legal acts.
Address: : 211440, Belarus, Vitebsk region,
Novopolotsk, 29 Blokhin Street,
Room 209, 214
1. Formation of scientific and methodological foundations for protecting hydrosphere from volley of petroleum sewage and development of a system that protects water objects from emergency oil spill at pipelines including projected, engineering and managing aspects of water objects safety provision.
2. Ensuring the reliability of main pipeline transport facilities by:
- creation of new methods for assessing the technical condition of trunk line submerged crossings and computer programs for calculating the index of their technical condition
- development of algorithms for analyzing the probability of events occurring in case of accidents at pipeline transport facilities
- substantiation of engineering parameters of the modes of reconstructive heat treatment of circular welded joints of main pipelines operated for a long time
- development of resource management systems depending on the stress state and defect parameters of vertical steel tanks
3. Creation of waste-free and safe methods of transportation and storage of high pour point petroleum products, based on using new environmentally safe and highly automated engineering processes and equipment for crating petroleum bitumen in leak-proof polyethylene film packaging.
4. Development of methodology for assessing the safety of main pipeline transport during technical rate setting on the basis of new methods of risk analysis.
5. Development of software systems for determining the parameters of natural gas pumping and optimisation the modes of its transportation by main pipelines, as well as for calculating gas reserves in gas transportation system.
PARTICIPATION IN EDITORIAL BOARDS OF PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS
- Member of the editorial board of peer-reviewed engineering journal "Pipeline transport: theory and practice" (founder VNIIST Group) Moscow, V. Lipsky.
- Member of the editorial board of e-peer-reviewed journal "Journal of Science and Education of North-West Russia" Kaliningrad, V. Lipsky.
- Member of the editorial board of peer-reviewed theoretical monthly journal "Vestnik of PSU"
- Member of the editorial board of peer-reviewed theory and practice journal "Issues of gathering, preparation and transportation of petroleum and petroleum products". Founder and publisher - Ufa State Petroleum Technological University, V. Lipsky.
PARTICIPATION IN ACADEMIC (RESEARCH, ENGINEERING) BOARDS OF EXTERNAL ORGANIZATIONS
- Organising and participation in editorial boards of nine international scientific and engineering conferences "Sustainability and safety of main pipeline transport" at PSU, V. Lipsky.
- Honorary title "Person of the Year of Vitebsk region-2010" in "Education, Science" nomination (V. Lipsky)
- Award of Vitebsk Regional Executive Committee to talented young scientists and specialists (D. Komarovsky, A. Kulbei)
- Francysk Skaryna Medal (V. Lipsky)
- Gubkin Russian State University of Oil and Gas
Ph. D. in Engineering,
Associate professor at the Department of Pipeline Transport and Hydraulics